|Southwest Sausage and Kale Salad with Chipotle Mustard Dressing
I'm always excited when new journeys come my way, and I'm ESPECIALLY excited about the Saucy Mama recipe contest this year! I'll be sharing my journey with all of you right up until the end, so stay saucy and stay tuned!
About Saucy Mama: Saucy Mama is the "signature brand" of Barhyte Specialty Foods, located in Pendleton, Oregon. They take GREAT pride in using only the best ingredients and creating "some of the most delicious mustards, marinades, wing sauces, and other gourmet condiments!"
They're a family company using recipes that have been handed down from prior generations and have earned an eager and loyal following all across North America.
My favorite part about Saucy Mama? They pack TONS of flavor into simple sauces and don't incorporate lots of extra sugars, salts, preservatives and additives. Saucy Mama's sauces are ALL NATURAL! So pour, dip, marinate, and slather away...guilt free !!!
About the World Food Championship and Saucy Mama's Contest: This will be the third year for the World Food Championships in Las Vegas, Nevada. WFC has literally changed the face of cooking competition. Bringing home cooks and professionals together from all over the world, this competition is now the SUPERBOWL of competitive cooking. I for one am SO grateful for this contest, because it now gives my fellow competitors (and GOOD friends), a place to meet face to face, and share our common interests once a year. It's like a big family reunion with lots of cold, hard cash at stake (or should I say steak?)
|Saucy Mama's Chipotle Mustard - YUM !!
I'll be receiving my kit of Saucy Mama products in the mail VERY SOON, and I'll be sure to share which one(s) will be going into my SUPAH DUPAH entry into the Saucy Mama recipe contest in hopes of getting BACK to the WFC for some RECIPE REDEMPTION !!!!
So, until the day arrives when the mailman brings me some saucy presents, I'll give you a little treat. Saucy Mama has a DELICIOUS Chipotle Mustard, that's super saucy on its own, but I added a few little extra ingredients to turn this into the PERFECT, fat-free, dairy-free, low-glycemic salad dressing !!!! I tossed this in with my Southwest Sausage and Kale Salad and it was a luscious lunchy munchy !!!
Southwest Sausage and Kale Salad with Chipotle Mustard Dressing
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 10 minutes / Servings: 4
For the Salad:
- 2 cups chopped Kale
- 2 cups chopped leaf lettuce
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 6 oz. Southwest chicken sausage (turkey chrizo, or Spicy Italian chicken/turkey sausage works too!)
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Remove the sausages from their casings (if they have them) and add them to the pan. Stir and chop with a spatula as you cook, about 7-10 minutes until the sausage is cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you make the salad.
- Chop the tomato, scallions, cilantro, kale and lettuce. Add them to a large serving dish or bowl. Add the black beans, corn and cooked sausage. Toss all the ingredients together until combined. Add the dressing and toss, or serve it on the side!
|Chipotle Mustard Dressing
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Saucy Mama Chipotle Mustard (click the link to purchase)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Toss in with your favorite salad or enjoy as a dip for fresh veggies and chips!