|Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Sweet Mustard Sauce|
These are simple to make and gluten-free. You can also spray them with non-stick olive oil spray and bake them in the oven (400 degrees for about 15 minutes), but they can get dried out in the oven. I'm not too concerned with my kiddos caloric content, or with his mono-unsaturarated fat intake either, so I say go ahead and lightly fry them in some oil.
These are also delicious if you want to add about 1 tsp. of seasoning mix to the almond meal. Hint: Mommy and Daddy LOVE these too! Just keep the chicken tenderloins whole and make strips! Some variations are:
Taco seasoning for Spicy Mexican nuggets. Serve with Ranch dressing.
Sweet Ginger seasoning for Chinese nuggets (Simply Asia has a GREAT mixture). Serve with teriyaki or soy sauce.
Curry Powder for Indian nuggets. Make sure to fry these in coconut oi!
Italian seasoning for pizza nuggets! Serve with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Sweet Mustard Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 10 minutes / Servings: 16 nuggets
|Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets|
with Sweet Mustard Sauce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins, cut into 4 pieces each
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Set up two dipping stations: Pour the egg whites into one bowl, and the almond meal into another bowl.
- Season the almond meal with 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add additional seasonings if desired. Stir until combined.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg whites and then place it into the almond meal. Cover it with the almond meal, pressing down to coat both sides. Transfer to a separate dish. Repeat with all the chicken pieces until they are all coated with the egg whites and almond meal.
- Heat the olive or coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Place the chicken nuggets into the skillet and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, lined with a paper towel. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- For the sauce: In a mixing bowl combine the mustard, agave nectar, and 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Serve with the chicken nuggets.