|Mediterranean Quinoa Salad|
My husband and I cannot stop eating this! The recipe has a LOT of ingredients, but it is SO worth it!
If you're not into "shopping and chopping," Costco has a very similar product with red lentils and mung beans instead of Garbanzos. It costs about $15 for a large container and it's really delicious.
It's fun to play around with ingredients in this, I just like to think about what I would want in a huge Greek salad. The quinoa can also be subbed out for orzo, Israeli cous cous, or brown rice. I use half water and half chicken broth in whichever grain I use to keep the flavor above and beyond delicious. If you're a vegan...skip the feta and use vegetable broth. You're good to go!
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15.5oz. can of Garbanzo beans
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 large scallion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini rings, chopped
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup feta crumbles
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1/4 tsp. red chile flake
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, broth and quinoa to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, cover, and let it cook for about 12-15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is soft and fluffy. Remove it from the heat, transfer it to a strainer and run COLD water over the quinoa for about 30 seconds to bring the temperature down, stirring as you do so.
- In a very large bowl, combine ALL the other ingredients. I don't even bother mixing the dressing separately. Add the quinoa and toss everything together for about 1 minute until EVERYTHING is combined and coated in the dressing. Serve immediately.